- The RM of Headingley, with the assistance of WSP Canada Group Limited (WSP), is preparing a transportation plan for the area south of the Assiniboine River, east of the C.P.R. rail line and north of Wilkes Avenue (PR 427). See study area map below.
- The transportation plan is intended to address issues in Headingley’s transportation network and identify future infrastructure improvements including upgrading intersections, road alignments, accesses and active transportation pathways.
- Headingley’s Development Plan (adopted in 2016) included this transportation plan as a priority action as a means to enable sustainable growth and economic development within the study area while ensuring the safety and mobility of all transportation users.
What is a transportation plan?
A transportation plan is a long-term strategy that guides transportation decisions and influences land use by identifying transportation infrastructure requirements and decision-making policies for municipalities to attain their vision and goals for economic growth. Transportation systems generally balance two competing functions:
- Mobility of people and goods; and
- Providing access to land. An effective transportation system balances both functions while reducing conflicts and improving user safety.
Transportation Plan Objectives
The primary objectives of the Headingley South East Transportation Plan are:
- To address access, traffic management, safety and mobility between larger residential areas and main transportation corridors;
- To identify improvements and required investments to the transportation and recreational network in Headingley, focusing on the provincial highway corridors and the municipal roads that provide access to and from these corridors, including conceptual sketches for identified improvements;
- To prioritize and establish timelines for the identified improvements;
- To integrate with existing and future commercial and residential developments; and
- To ensure there is adequate access to provincial highways to facilitate future economic development.
How can I get involved?
- Stay up-to-date on the project progress by visiting www.rmofheadingley.ca
- Complete a survey and provide your input using the online mapping tool (links below)
- Direct any questions or information inquiries to Evan Allan, Planner with WSP, at:
- 204-943-3178, or
There are two opportunities for public feedback to inform the development of the South East Transportation Plan.
CLICK HERE to take our online survey.
CLICK HERE to provide your input and comments using the online mapping tool.
A Public Open House will be scheduled to present the draft transportation plan and to obtain feedback from the public.